Works best with a flat iron steak but use on any steak that you think would work well with a chile rub. The chipotle powder brings the flavor of smoked smoked jalapenos, the New Mexico brings a little more earthy heat. The chile powder brings that texas invented mixture of peppers along with other ingredients depending on whose chile powder you use. You'll have to experiment to find which is best for you.
- 2 tbls Brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoons Onion powder
- 1 tbsp Chili Powder
- 1 1/2 tsp New Mexico Chile Powder
- 1 tsp Chipotle Chile Powder
- 1 tsp Salt-Free Seasoning Blend; or low sodium
- Salt & pepper; to taste
- 2 pounds Flat iron steak
- 1/4 cup Vegetable Oil
- Mix all of the dry ingredients until thoroughly blended.
- Using rubber or kitchen grade laytex gloves sprinkle over steak and rub in.
- Cover or place in zip lock bag and place in refrigerator between 30 minutes to 2 days. Longer the better.
- Before putting meat on heat source drizzle with vegetable oil and rub in.
- Cook as desired.
For a little less heat substitute ancho or California chile powder for the New Mexico chile powder.