There are several variations and this is an excellent one to experiment with. This is a terrific dish in camp or at home.
Mountain Man Breakfast - Sausage and Egg scramble made in a Dutch oven.
- 1 sausage log (I like Jimmy Dean's Sage)
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 2-3 stalks green onion (chopped)
- 2-3 garlic cloves (chopped}
- 8-12 eggs (scrambled)
- Several mushrooms (sliced)
- 1 bag shredded hash browns
- 1 bag “Sharp” cheddar cheese (12oz)
- Garlic salt
- Parsley (dried)
- Fry up sausage and onion.
- Add chopped garlic.
- Cook till sausage is almost done. Drain.
- Fry the hash brown potatoes till browned.
- Add all of the other ingredients (Except cheese) to the pot and mix well.
- Cook for about 40 minutes (until the egg is cooked through.)
- Last 5 minutes add cheese to top to melt.
Rotate lid and pot in opposite directions every 10 minutes or so to eliminate hot spots.
I use a 12″ Dutch oven with 8 coals on bottom and about 16 on top. You will use a lot more on bottom to fry up sausage so just dump the total amount on bottom to start then adjust to bake.