- 2/3 cup slivered almonds
- 2 1/2 pounds chicken breasts (but I guess you could include legs & thigh pieces if you don?t want all breast meat)
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/4 teaspoon herb pepper seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon almond oil
- 1 cup each long grain white rice, chopped onion, julienne carrot, sliced celery and sliced mushrooms
- 1-teaspoon basil
- 1 can (10 3/4 ounces) condensed, no fat, chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Spread almonds in a shallow cast iron skillet or Dutch Oven.
- Toast at 350 F for about 10 minutes or until the almonds are a light golden brown, stirring once or twice.
- Remove from the skillet / DO to cool.
- Dredge chicken in mixture of flour, seasoned salt, herb pepper and poultry seasoning.
- Heat butter and oil in the 10-inch (or larger) cast iron skillet or DO.
- Brown chicken on both sides and remove from the skillet / DO.
- Saute rice, onions, carrots, celery and mushrooms until the vegetables are tender - crisp, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in basil, 1/3-cup almonds and chicken broth.
- Place browned chicken over rice mixture.
- Bring to boil; cover; turn heat low and simmer 25 to 30 minutes or until rice and chicken are tender.
- Sprinkle with remaining 1/3-cup almonds and parsley to serve.
From DutchOvenCooking Yahoo Group; fwgodsey http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dutchovencooking/message/67215 Modified from a recipe by the Almond Board of California.