Dump cakes are always a hit in camp. This one is no different except it's dressed up a bit and ready for Fall. I adapted the recipe slightly for a camp oven from a recipe by Christy Denney who runs the Girl Who Ate Everything website, http://www.the-girl-who-ate-everything.com/
- 1 (29 ounce) can pure pumpkin
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 3 whole eggs
- 1 cup white sugar
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 (18.25 ounce) yellow cake mix
- (optional) 1 cup chopped pecans
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- Grease and preheat Dutch oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, mix pumpkin, milk, eggs, sugar, and cinnamon until well blended.
- Spread pumpkin mixture in Dutch oven. Mixture will be very wet.
- Sprinkle cake mix evenly on top of the batter.
- If adding pecans, sprinkle them over the cake mix.
- Pour melted butter over the top of the cake mix.
- Bake 50 - 60 minutes.
- Cool and top with whipped cream or ice cream.
As with most dump cakes don't be afraid to experiment. Try using your favorite pumpkin pie spice mix or use a different cake mix instead. Enjoy!