Here’s a dish that always goes over well especially among those that appreciate a Mexican/Southwest experience. We last prepared this at a Dutch Oven Guys event at Christmas Pines Campground in Auburn, PA.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 3/4 onion, diced
- 1 (16 ounce) can refried beans
- 5 (10 inch) flour tortillas
- 1 can enchilada sauce
- 2 cups shredded Mexican, Cheddar or Colby Jack cheese
- Place sufficient coals under a 10" Dutch oven and brown ground beef.
- When ground beef is nearly done add onion and cook until translucent.
- Remove beef and onion mixture and set aside in a bowl and cover with foil.
- Add refried beans to Dutch oven and cook until softened and heated thoroughly, about 5 minutes.
- In a separate saucepan or Dutch oven heat enchilada sauce.
- In a bowl, mix all of the above ingredients together until well incorporated.
- Place one tortilla in the bottom of ta greased 10" Dutch oven (You can use the same one used above).
- Spread about 1/3 cup of the enchilada mixture over it.
- Add a handful of shredded cheese over the enchilada mixture.
- Then, place another tortilla over the mixture, and repeat adding layers, spreading the ingredients evenly over the tortillas.
- On the top layer, make sure to use lots of enchilada mixture and cheese!
- If desired, add sliced chilles to the the top.
- Bake until the cheese is melted, approximately 15 to 20 minutes.