This is a great introductory recipe especially for kids, scouts, or Dutch oven beginners. If you ever cook for friends you’ll wow them with this very tasty dish.
Easy Apple Dump Cake
- 2 cans apple pie filling
- 1 box white, yellow or spice cake mix
- 1 12-oz can 7-Up, Squirt, or other lemon-lime soda (or pop depending on what part of the country you're from)
- Dump (hence the name of the recipe) the apple pie filling in a 12" Dutch oven (use one can for a 10" Dutch oven).
- Dump the cake mix over the pie filling and gently spread evenly.
- Pour the soda over and around the top of the cake mix. DO NOT STIR. Maybe just swirl it very lightly.
- Bake at 350 for about an 1 - 1-1/4 hours. You'll know it's done when you smell the wonderful aroma of the apple and the cake mix.
The reason you don't stir the mixture is that the heat will cause the filling and the soda to bubble and mix with the cake mix.
Variation: Try cherry pie filling, chocolate cake mix, and Coke, Dr. Pepper, or Root Beer. Experiment and try combinations you think might be interesting.