- 1lb ground beef
- 1 cup onion (chopped)
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 2 Tbsp Garlic (minced)
- 1 ½ -2 Tbsp Flour
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 Tbsp enchilada seasoning
- 1 8oz can tomato sauce (No Salt Added)
- 4 flour tortillas
- Monterey cheese (shredded)
- 2 jalapeno peppers fresh (sliced diced and seeded)
- ½ cup cilantro chopped reserve some for garnish
- Heat cast iron skillet
- Add ground beef and onion
- Cook with sufficient bottom heat until crumbled and brown.
- Remove beef and onions from skillet and place in bowl and cover.
- In same skillet melt butter and sauté garlic for 1 minute.
- Sprinkle in flour stirring constantly
- Add broth, cilantro, peppers and tomato sauce
- Bring to boil
- Add tomato mixture to ground beef and onion mixture in the bowl.
- Place one tortilla in bottom of Dutch oven.
- Add 1 cup meat mixture and another tortilla layer.
- Continue to layer meat mixture and tortillas until all the meat mixture is used.
- Top the final layer of meat mixture with cheese.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Garnish with cilantro and jalapeno’s.
When layering tortillas you can break up extra tortilla so that tortillas cover the bottom of the Dutch oven as well as subsequent layers.
You can adapt the recipe so that everything is cooked in a single Dutch oven without having to use a separate skillet.
For the hunters out there you can use ground wild game meat such as venison.