This hearty side dish is easy to put together and is just as delicious as it looks. It is a terrific offering for outdoor cooking, as well as for holiday meals.
- ¾ cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup flour
- ½ cup sugar
- 3 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. salt (don’t use salt if using salted butter)
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 4 Tbsp. butter
- 15 ¼ oz can yellow whole kernel corn, drained
- 14 ¾ oz can yellow cream-style corn
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 8 oz cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 tsp. hot sauce
- In a bowl, stir together cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- Sauté onion and red pepper in butter until softened.
- Pour cooked onion mixture into a mixing bowl and add remaining ingredients and cornmeal mixture, stirring until well-combined.
- Pour into a greased 12" Dutch Oven and bake at 350° for 45-60 minutes or until golden brown on top.
- Let rest for 15 minutes before serving to set.
For a 350 degree 12" Dutch Oven, use 8 coals below and 17 on top. Lard makes an excellent grease for the Dutch Oven and will prevent sticking.