Here's a great chilly (no pun intended) comfort dish especially if you're a chili freak like I am. This might even be a good base recipe to start with if you're interested in chili cook offs. Me? I just like eating the stuff with a cold cerveza.
- 2 Lb ground beef
- 2 cups onions, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 28 oz can whole peeled tomatoes, undrained, course chopped
- 1 6 oz can tomato paste
- 2 Tbs chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground red pepper
- 1/4 ground cloves
- Lime wedges and cilantro sprigs (optional)
- Brown beef in Dutch oven over medium-high heat source.
- Stir to to separate and crumble.
- Remove fat.
- Add onions and garlic and cook reducing heat source to a medium heat or until onions are softened.
- Stir in tomatoes with juice, tomato paste, chili powder, cumin, salt, red pepper, and cloves.
- Bring to a boil over high bottom heat.
- Reduce heat source to low where the ingredients come to a simmer.
- Cover and simmer for about 30 minutes (or longer).
- Serve with lime wedges and cilantro (optional)
12" Dutch oven. This recipe can be done with bottom heat only. However, if you would like to you can add some cheese towards the end. Just place a few hot coals on the lid until the cheese is melted. You can also serve cheese on the side.
You can let this cook longer to allow the spices to infuse a bit better for a better flavor.