Ron and Sandy have shared this recipe for a heart-warming chowder that makes everyone happy.
Cheesy Ham Chowder
- 1/2 cup butter
- 5-6 strips bacon (reserve bacon grease)
- 2 Tbsp bacon grease
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 3 Tbsp all purpose flour
- 4 cups whole milk
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 1/2 cups cubed potatoes (peeled)
- 1 can (15 1/4 oz) whole kernel corn, drained
- 2 tsp chicken bouillon granules
- pepper to taste
- 2 Tbsp thyme
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- In a Dutch Oven, cook the bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels to drain, then chop the bacon into pieces.
- In reserved bacon grease, melt butter; saute onion and carrots until tender.
- Stir in flour until blended. Gradually add milk and water. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Add the potatoes, corn, bouillon and seasonings. Reduce heat, simmer uncovered for 20 minutes or until the potatoes are tender. Add cheese and ham; heat until cheese is melted. Stir in bacon.