Braised Red Potatoes with Lemon and Chives
- 1-1/2 lb small red potatoes (1-1/2” in diameter) – unpeeled & halved
- 2 cups water
- 3 Tbls unsalted butter
- 3 cloves garlic – peeled
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 3⁄4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1⁄4 tsp pepper
- 2 Tbls minced fresh chives
- Arrange potatoes in a single layer, cut side down in a 12” Dutch oven.
- Add water, butter, garlic, thyme salt and bring to simmer over medium high heat.
- Reduce heat to medium.
- Cover and simmer until potatoes are just tender – about 15 minutes.
- Remove lid.
- Use a slotted spoon to transfer garlic to cutting board.
- Discard thyme.
- Increase heat to medium high.
- Vigorously simmer swirlinhg pan occasionally until water evaporates and butter starts to sizzle – 15 to 20 minutes.
- When cool enough to handle, mince garlic into a paste.
- Transfer garlic paste to bowl, stir in lemon juice and pepper.
- Continue to cook potatoes swirling pan frequently until butter browns and cut sides of potatoes turn spotty brown – about 4 to 6 minutes longer.
- Remove from heat and add garlic mixture and chives.
- Toss to thoroughly coat.
- Serve immediately.